Thursday, June 22, 2017

Primaris Marine Schemes (Part 1)

(or Isn't white primer technically a "paint scheme")

GW was kind enough to provide a blank to work from!
I gave in - I tried to not order the boxed set, but I did - and now I have a bunch more models inbound. Now the tough part becomes assembling the paints I need and developing a paint scheme that I'll enjoy painting a whole new army in!

With the number of Primaris Marines that are in the Dark Imperium boxed set, I am going to "hedge my bets" a bit and paint at least one of the squads as Imperial Fists - but with the yellow scheme I've used previously on my 40k models, not the newer Orange-ish yellow that has been the Imperial Fists standard in editions 7 and 8.
No, not this paint scheme...
Good thing I have a lot of Army Painter Daemonic Yellow primer on hand! (and plenty of it in the bottle to even out the spray!

Inquisitor for reference
As for developing my custom paint scheme for a Primaris Founding chapter - well, I tried to use the GW provided template, but the gaps in the image didn't work so well with the Adobe Photoshop Fill Bucket tool!  So I was relegated to using the (now outdated) Bolter and Chainsword Space Marine Painter tool.  Unfortunately, the tool really can't simulate metallics, or painting effects very well, so results may vary.  Realizing that the body of my Primaris Marines would be in the same dark metallic blue as my Ordo Machinum Inquisitor, I built the following color mock-up on a Mk7 model at Bolter and Chainsword.
I wanted the dark Turquoise in there as a nod to my current chapter - Green Templars, but too many colors in common with the Alpha Legion as a whole  Still not totally what I wanted - but a start.
So I made the shoulder pads white, and left the Turquoise to the Aquilla and and stripe on the helmet.  What looks like a brown trim is actually intended to be a dark bronze color.  I thought of carrying over the red copper accents from the shoulder pads on the Inquisitor, but the process of washes might get a bit sloppy on trim.

This is all still a work in progress - which at least gives me something to do while I wait for the Dark Imperium box to arrive!  I've seen some other "New" chapter paint schemes, and the one over at 30Kplus40K looks pretty good.  Feedback is always appreciated, even if I don't immediately apply it to my painting!






No comments:

Post a Comment